Hackney Empire is a influential, variety-led, historical theatre championing the best creative talent from Hackney and around the world.
Other than its wonderful Frank Matcham building, Hackney Empire owns no assets. All of its on-stage productions are owned by the originators, not by the Empire. Lola has worked with the Empire team to create new assets from their past, their location, their renown.
What We Are Doing
* We created an institutional marketing campaign highlighting past through to contemporary performers. From Charlie Chaplin to FKA Twigs.
* We worked with renown textile designer Kangan Arora to create a patterned print from Hackney Empire's logo which has been applied across a small range of merchandise.
* By trademarking Hackney’s Hidden Wardrobe, we’re launching a brand that will build on HE’s famous pantomime by focusing on the ‘dame’s’ wardrobe. It’s got a witty, transgender, cross-dressing, funky, colourful, kitsch West-Indian vibe. Merchandise ranges from over-the-top jewellery to colourful home furnishings.
* We’ve also asked top designer Kangan Arora to turn the new HE logo into a pattern for a simple product range.
* Finally and more unusually, the Empire team has scoured Hackney to seek a traditional or contemporary story from each of the 100 language communities within the borough home. Branded under the trademark 100 Stories, these will form the basis of mp3s, plays, storybooks, educational resources etc.